Monday, April 6, 2009

It's Monday. It's Friday. It's Sunday.

My boss uses this phrase to describe life’s frantic pace. I’ve always identified with it – all the more so now that I’m watching my baby grow into a little person right before my eyes.

Ten and a half months ago, I was laying in an operating room listening to Avery’s first cries. Now she has a vocabulary that includes “hi,” “bear,” “dog,” and the always popular, “no-no, dada.”

Last month, after several weeks of scooting and slithering, Avery began crawling in earnest. She now covers a room in a heartbeat, her self-propelled little body seemingly drawn most to the areas we want her to go least. A couple weeks ago, she started pulling herself up on furniture. She can stand up just about anywhere so long as there’s a leg or ottoman to hold on to.

She plays patty-cake, gives high-fives, and brushes her teeth (and ours, the dog’s, and her toy giraffe’s). When you ask, “How big is Avery?” she’ll stretch her arms high over her head, as though to indicate she’s seven feet tall. And her sense of humor is awesome. She’s one of the funniest people I know, along with her dad.

She’s also is quite self-assured. She knows what she wants and if you pay attention, you realize that she’ll tell you. A shake of the hands means “I’m full.” A point means “Isn’t that a beautiful flower? I want to touch it.” We try to pay very close attention, because we realize more and more that she’s just a small human with her own thoughts and preferences, and we respect that.

So the days are flying, but it’s all great. Each day, Avery gives us something to remember, something to savor and something to look forward to.

No comments: